Installing RHEL v3 WS on an Athlon 3400+ <MORE problems>

Cannon, Andrew Andrew.Cannon at nnc.co.uk
Mon Apr 26 14:18:34 UTC 2004

> More problems. After having to perform a text based install (which is NOT
> the same as the GUI despite what the manual says), I cannot get any sort
of
> GUI. The system must still think it is a headless system and hasn't
> configured X, there are no nvidia kernel headers (according to the nVidia
> driver installation pack) and I'm fast running out of ideas. I can't edit
> XF86Config because it isn't there.
>
> Any ideas on this. If I boot into run level 5 will the system try and
> configure X? Do I need to install X again and configure it by hand (a
decent
> HOWTO would be good, but they all assume that XF86config is present).
>
> Andy

Dunno,... I'm running Tao Linux ( a RHEL3 clone) on my Athlon XP 2600+
with none of the problems you report.

Just because you ran the text installer doesn't mean the installer thinks
you're on a headless system. It would, at the very least, think you're
on a text-only system. It should also have asked you about your graphics
card and monitor so you could configure the X resolution. What happens
when you type "startx" ? Did you install all the kernel source and
kernel headers packages, and all the development packages (for C and
C++, I mean, not necessarily python or ruby or other languages)?
Sounds like you have an Nvidia card, so in order to install the Nvidia
drivers you must have previously installed those packages

Then (then) latest Nvidia drivers installed perfectly on my Tao Linux
box, I just downloaded from the nvidia site, ran the installer according
to the instructions, and voila!

> When I run the installer, it actually says "No video card detected -
Assuming headless" or something like that. It asks me no questions about
graphics, keyboard, mouse, sound, network etc. All it does is configures the
hard drives, gets a root password and then installs the packages I selected.
Which is everything, but still doesn't install the kernel headers. I assume
that the kernel headers have titles like kernel-header*, or am I being too
naiive?

When i type startx it doesn't start X (I can't quite remember the error,
I'll take a look in a mo), probably because there is no xf86config file
anywhere on the system. (find . -name xf86config {with all possible
combinations of x,X,f,F,c,C etc} reveals nothing...) If I could install the
kernel header packages I would, but there is nothing on any of the cd's with
kernel-header in the rpm name.

It is an nVidia graphics card, but I still can't use it...

Andy

NNC's UK Operating Companies : NNC Holdings Limited (no. 3725076), NNC Limited (no. 1120437), National Nuclear Corporation Limited (no. 2290928), STATS-NNC Limited (no. 4339062) and Technica-NNC Limited (no. 235856).  The registered office of each company is at Booths Hall, Chelford Road, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 8QZ except for Technica-NNC Limited whose registered office is at 6 Union Row, Aberdeen AB10 1DQ.  NNC's head office and principal address is Booths Hall and the switchboard number is 01565 633800.  The NNC website is www.nnc.co.uk

Any information or opinions in this message which do not relate to our business are not authorised by any of the above companies.  Where this message does relate to our business the content is sent to you by the relevant company (as above) and is confidential and intended for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  The contents do not form part of any contract unless so stated.  If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the NNC system manager by email at eadm at nnc.co.uk.