Memory test

Gerry Doris gdoris at rogers.com
Mon Apr 26 23:40:14 UTC 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Rudolf Ladyzhenskii wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A quick search on the Google found this:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/dledford/memtest.html
>
> Also, there is a good memory tester for Linux. If memory serves me right (time to test ot? ;-)))), it is called 'memtest'.
>
> >From my PC repair experience, memory often fails intermittently, so test may pass but you can still have faulty memory.
>
> Rudolf

memtest86 is great.  You create a bootable disk and it grabs the first 80k
of memory.  It then proceeds to run a series of 12 tests that will
definitely find any memory problems you have.  I just went through this
with a bad memory chip and was very impressed with the results...besides,
the shop where I bought the memory chip had no problems replacing the chip
when I said it had failed memtest86.

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer