Memory test

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Apr 27 00:16:43 UTC 2004

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:34:45AM -0600, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>    I have a server that seems to enjoy rebooting itself every so often
> (usually it goes days to weeks without doing anything, then it'll get
> into a fit and start rebooting every few days or so before quitting
> again.)  My first guess right now is faulty memory sticks, however I
> can't take it down for testing.  It's a production web server and unless
> I setup a backup for it (for which I do not have the hardware to
> accomplish,) I simply can't take it down.  Does anyone have any
> suggestion on how I can diagnose this poor thing?

Not really, not without taking it out of service. But in addition to
memory, other things that will cause instability are overheating (do
you have lm_sensors configured and calibrated?), flaky power supply
(not even anywhere near dead, just not well-regulated, if all else
fails you may find it worthwhile to spend $75-100 for a high quality
name brand supply, such as a high-end Antec or a PC Power and Cooling
supply), overclocking (surely not, on a production server). for memory
testing, I refer you to memtest86 or memtest86+.

Fred

                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."