BIND split dns

lito lampitoc ral at codewan.com.ph
Tue Apr 27 09:23:43 UTC 2004

Hello All,

I've been trying to make bind split dns work, and i'd been reading a lot
of documents on how to set it up, unfortunately I just can't seem to
make it work. I've tried setting it up using two machines, single
machine and it still won't work.

What I want to do is make an internal and external DNS, where internal
will be used to resolve local copies of my sites and external to serve
clients from the web. such as when a machine on my LAN tries to access
www.oursite.com he will be pointed to an internal ip address 172.16.1.2
whereas if the same site is accessed from the internet my public ip
address 222.222.222.5 will resolve it. I also need it to separate
internal and external DNS traffic. Is this possible? from the
documentation, I can't find any explanation on how to this, the only
examples are, for external, oursite.com while for internal,
internal.oursite.com, giving me the option such as,
www.internal.oursite.com (private) and www.oursite.com (public) The
problem with this is that it can no longer resolve public query when
done on the machine where my DNS is running, besides it is not what I
want to happen because my users will find it hard to use longer names
like, www.internal.oursite.com and it's not uniform when they access it
from the internet, it also create confusion.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.