BIND split dns

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Tue Apr 27 11:36:45 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 05:23:43PM +0800, lito lampitoc wrote:
> I've been trying to make bind split dns work, and i'd been reading a lot
> of documents on how to set it up, unfortunately I just can't seem to
> make it work. I've tried setting it up using two machines, single
> machine and it still won't work.
>
> What I want to do is make an internal and external DNS, where internal
> will be used to resolve local copies of my sites and external to serve
> clients from the web. such as when a machine on my LAN tries to access
> www.oursite.com he will be pointed to an internal ip address 172.16.1.2
> whereas if the same site is accessed from the internet my public ip
> address 222.222.222.5 will resolve it. I also need it to separate
> internal and external DNS traffic. Is this possible?

Here's some snippets from my named.conf that has internal and external
views.  I've chopped out a bunch to make it shorter for posting but
there should be enough there to give you the idea as to what you're
looking to do.  I am assuming you're running bind 9.  If you're still at
bind 8, you need to upgrade.

        .../Ed

# Local networks
acl "local-nets" { 192.168.0.0/16; 127.0.0.0/24; };

view "internal" {
   match-clients { local-nets; };
   recursion yes;
   allow-query { local-nets; };