installing SSH

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Apr 27 16:30:56 UTC 2004

At 10:16 4/27/2004, you wrote:
>I am installing SSH on my RHEL server.  I did the ./configure part, but
>when I do a "make install" command, it says it cannot find a compiler..
>any ideas where I can get one?

Installing from source is usually not the best way, *especially* if you are
using RHEL. Since you already have a secure, supported platform, use the
tools it gives you. Simply log in as root and type:

# up2date openssh

It will download, install, and configure the package properly and will
resolve any dependencies automatically. Note that there are different
packages for client and server; you can see the list of packages with:

# up2date --showall | grep openssh

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz