question about relaying and /etc/mail/access file

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Tue Apr 27 18:38:15 UTC 2004

hi.

my boss just got a treo 600 and he wants to be able to send/receive mail
from it. at this point the receiving works fine via POP (this is done
directly with my Exchange 2000 server). however i'm having trouble
getting my linux server to relay. if he sends an email to somewhere
within our organization it will work fine. however if he sends something
out of the organisation i get a 550 5.7.1 relay denied error.

i think my problem is that i don't understand how relaying is exactly
setup. i thought that if i put 'domain.com RELAY' into /etc/mail/access
and rebuild the map it would allow my user to send outgoing mails to any
domain as long as he was using an @domain.com email address. however it
only seems to work if i explicitly add the external domain's into the
access file.

for example i have been sending test emails to a foreign server this
whole time and unless i explicitly add 'To:foreign.com RELAY' to
/etc/mail/access i am unable to send outgoing email.

what am i doing wrong and how can i fix this?

thanks,
chris.