Kernel migration from rpm -> src

peter at vratny.at peter at vratny.at
Wed Apr 28 06:10:58 UTC 2004

Hi

I'm using standard RH-Kernels from RPMS since years. Now I want to
change one of my old 7.1 machines from a (fedora) legacy-Kernel to a
2.4.26.

Normally I do a "make oldconfig" when upgrading kernels.
Is there a ".config" from standard-RPM-Kernels anywhere? I cant find
any (of course I installed kernel-src/headers RPMS too).

If there aren't any, how can I find out, what drivers are compiled into
the kernel?

Main Problem: I have got only remote-access to this machine and
therefore I cannot say exactly what hardware is in it (besides that, I
can read from /proc, dmesg and co).

Do you see any problems in my plan from changing from rpm-K to src-K?
Will this break _any_ packages in my (very old but reliable) RH7.1
system?

thx in advance,
Peter

Ps.: yes I know that I have to keep up2date a 7.1 machine without RPMs
from RH. That is ok and the kernel is one of the steps to this

PPs.:
[peter at fantasio peter]$ uname -r
2.4.20-30.7.legacy
--
| love music_hate fascism     |       ...aber euer Leben zwickt |
| use free software           |      und drückt nur dann nicht, |