Disaster recovery recommendations for RH Linux 8.0...

Edward J. Weinberg edw at q5comm.com
Wed Apr 28 12:55:52 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 14:15, Tobias Speckbacher wrote:

> The smtp protocol offers you to set backup mx records via dns.
> This will cause the sending server to try all of these before giving up
> on delivery. (should the server in question be your MX host). Quick
> search yielded http://www.dyndns.org/support/kb/mxrecords.html on this
> topic.

Might do that.  You need to think like a lawyer.  The RFC says you CAN
try other MS records, not that your mail server MUST try them.  Some
mail servers do and some don't.

Your reference supports this:
"In addition to specifying the mail server which should receive mail for
a domain, MX records can also specify the host(s) to which mail can be
delivered if the primary mail server is off-line."

CAN be delivered is different from MUST be delivered.

That means that some email might be delivered to the secondary MX.

Edward J. Weinberg <edw at q5comm.com>