new to list / network eth0 issue

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Apr 28 18:53:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 02:34:54PM -0400, Johnson, Shaunn wrote:
> I installed RHEL ES 3.0 on an Intel box.  The install went
> I get "Destination Host Unreachable".  I try to ping the
> Linux box, but get 'Request timed out'.
>
> Is it possible to force the eth0 card to do 100 Full on a
> auto negotiating network like the Windows box?  If so, how?

It sure is.  I do this via options in /etc/modules.conf.  However, the
syntax is different to different drives (really annoying!!!).  Here's
the snippet from mine:

alias eth0 tlan
options tlan speed=100 duplex=2
alias eth1 3c59x
options 3c59x full_duplex=1

If you want to know what the particular syntax is for your brand of
Ethernet controller, you might need to install the kernel sources and
dig in there.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org