Using PAM for additional SSH/Console authentication

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Thu Apr 29 09:50:50 UTC 2004

Ed Wilts wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 01:29:43PM -0700, Yagi Angrypants wrote:
>

>>A while ago I had configured an RH box so that ssh
>>users had to have their account names entered into a
>>text file (in addition to the "usual" requirements) in
>>order to be able to ssh into a machine.
>>
>>I can't remember how to do this now.  I'd like to
>>configure a box I have now so that ssh and console
>>users need to have their accounts specificially
>>entered into additional text files to permit such
>>access.  Can someone point me to a good link that
>>discusses modifying the PAM configuration to
>>accomplish this?
>>

>The easiest way to do this is via the sshd_config file that forces users
>to be members of a group to allow the ssh login.  man sshd_config and
>search for AllowGroup

yes, that would work quite well, but doesn't deal with local logins. PAM
controls everything!!
(well, most things that require authentication, anyway)

>Console users are handled via /etc/securetty I think.

/etc/securetty is just a list of terminals that the sytem considers
'secure'.
PAM will not allow root logins on a terminal not listed in that file.
(ie if you want to rescue over a serial console, better make sure that
/dev/ttyS0 is listed!)

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCE/RHCX