rebuilding accounts

Johnson, Shaunn SJohnson6 at bcbsm.com
Thu Apr 29 20:45:26 UTC 2004

Howdy:

Running RHEL v.3.

I'm moving user home directories to the new
server and I need to add them to passwd / shadow
and group files.  I make a script like so:

[snip]
#!/bin/bash -x

echo "building users account"
echo " "

for i in `cat /tmp/lusers.txt`
do
echo "making account for the user: $i"
echo " "
/usr/sbin/useradd -d /opt/home/$i -g users -M -p $i -s /bin/bash $i
done
[/snip]

The when I try to su - <user>, I get 'su: incorrect password'.
(note: I did this as a non-root user). I thought that
maybe I should use single or double quotes when putting
the password on the line, but the errors are always the same.

Question:  With useradd, is there a way to prompt users
for a new password upon login?  Otherwise, I will have
to write some one-liner to use 'passwd' to generate
default passwords.

Thanks!

-X