gnome/X/kde problem

Jeff Lacki jeep at rahul.net
Thu Apr 29 22:06:36 UTC 2004

Hello-

Ive had to reload my redhat box recently and after all seemed
well and software was loaded, I started having problems with the
X login (inittab 5).  After I type my username/password I got
several different things.

One was a message saying after 10 seconds, something was wrong
(Im paraphrasing), and to try failsafe.  So I wiped out my
.gnome* directories and tried again.

After that, the X screen came up but not its like its lost its
graphic abilities, I get boxes with a red X and green checkmarks
for the panel and apparently boxes that are displayed.

Anyone know of a website/page that explains the different errors
for the graphics and how to fix them?  Im amazed at the lack of
reliability of X at times...I know in the past Ive had small issues
as well and couldnt figure it out and had to reload my OS.

Im sure there is a better way.

On a minor note, what directory or file(s) contain my desktop
settings (launchers etc) so I can save them and not have to
re-do them everytime?

Thank you very much,
Jeff