unable to login as user

Mansoor, Huma h.mansoor at vla.defra.gsi.gov.uk
Fri Apr 30 13:15:04 UTC 2004

Thanks Bill.

I have checked the Users & Groups and everything seems to be fine. I've
checked /etc/passwd and that shows the user as:
hmansoor:x:500:500:Huma Mansoor:/home/hmansoor:/bin/bash

everything else on the system seems to be on a /sbin/nologin shell apart
from root which is also on /bin/bash

When I first logged in as user in graphical mode, I got the following errors
in the .xsessions file:
stty:standard input:Inappropriate ioctl for device.
-bin/bash:line1:id:command not found
-bin/bash:line1:id:command not found
-bin/bash:line1:id:command not found
-bin/bash:line12:[:too many arguments
/usr/share/apps/switchdesk/Xclients.gnome:line2:exec:gnome-session:not found

Huma