Moving hardlinks

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Fri Apr 30 22:06:26 UTC 2004

    I have a backup drive that I'm trying to replace with a larger one
and I need to transfer what's on it now to the new drive.  The data was
backed up using RSYNC, and some of the data's hardlinked (through cp
-al) and I'd like to preserve all of that.  Do I simply run 'cp -aR
<source> <dest>' and hope for the best?  I mean, will the hardlinks
transfer over, and will the timestamps will be the same?

    The current structure is:

    daily.05
    daily.04
    daily.03
    daily.02  <-- this is a 'cp -al' version of daily.01
    daily.01  <-- data gets RSYNCed in here

    And every night that structure gets pushed up (.05 deleted, .02 to
.04 shifted up, .02 gets created by cp -al .01, and then rsync runs on .01)

    I need this structure, and the linking, to stay as is when I
transfer the data from one drive to the other.

--
W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.