Non-random PIDs

Rik van Riel riel at redhat.com
Sun Aug 1 21:32:21 UTC 2004

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, Jason Dixon wrote:

> I see that there is a maintained random-PID patch for the 2.4 series.
> The author claims it was rejected by Alan Cox because it was merely
> "security through obscurity".  I'm a little surprised to hear that, but
> oh well.

It is true, though.  The random-PID patch might decrease
the chance of exploiting a certain bug by a small factor,
but that's no substitute for actually fixing the bug ...

It's a bit like using slighty randomised file names in
/tmp to decrease the chance of a symlink attack hitting;
just not the proper fix...