RHEL+ SATA (was: FC3 + SATA RAID)

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Mon Aug 2 17:23:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 10:15:18AM -0700, Tobias Speckbacher wrote:
> I have a problem with the SATA with RHEL3.
>
> The two or three 64 bit motherboards I have seen all have SATA.
>
> The motherboard manufacturers have little or no support for Linux and say that
> because Linux is so fast changing that its too hard for them to support (ASUS
> support).
>
> If 2.6 kernel has support for ASATA when will 2.6 appear in RHEL 3?

SATA is supported in 2.4 for a small set of controllers.  This list is
expanding regularly and Update 3 (due out around September and in beta
now) has better support than what we've got today.  You should check the
list archives for the Update 3 announcement to see if support for your
specific controller has been added.

I do not expect RHEL 3 to ever have a 2.6 kernel.  That would likely
break compatibility and is not something that Red Hat can or will do.

RHEL 4 will have a 2.6 kernel.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE