access my computer remotely? (& ipconfig)

Lew Bloch conrad at lewscanon.com
Wed Aug 4 17:11:17 UTC 2004

> From: "Ben Sewell"
> IF you want to access in GNOME then you can download VNC for Linux.

How about 'ssh -X yourhost'?  If you have X (whether you're on Win or Linux,
or anything that sports an ssh client) then you have an X interface to the host.

> On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 02:39, Stephen W wrote:
>
>> Running RH9.0
>>
>> Tried ipconfig ...

In Linux you want 'ifconfig'.  'ipconfig' is a Windows program.

Of course if your machine is behind a firewall or router with NAT (network
address translation), it will tell you only its local address (e.g.,
192.168.0.1), but then your firewall device will have the means to reveal its
external IP address.