Need to change the source address in sendmail

Cowles, Steve steve at stevecowles.com
Wed Aug 4 19:11:09 UTC 2004

jim martin wrote:
> Well, I changed my sendmail.mf file's MASQUERADE_AS(`abc.com')dnl,
> abc.com is the source domain that I want to be.   but it still shown
> as root at mylinux.mycompany.com.

As a reference from the sendmail README....

There are always users that need to be "exposed" -- that is, their
internal site name should be displayed instead of the masquerade name.
Root is an example (which has been "exposed" by default prior to 8.10).
You can add users to this list using

 EXPOSED_USER(`usernames')

See /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

> In fact, I did install postfix before and configured the
> /etc/postfix/main.cf  's myorigin=abc.com  but it still shown
> as root at mylinux.mycompany.com.

See the section of the postfix main.cf titled "ADDRESS REWRITING". In
particular, using the sender_canonical_maps.

> And my friend told me that it is because my postfix is taken over
> by sendmail.  So I stop my sendmail.. and restart the postfix..
> postfix start fine..  but I still cannot send mail via postfix as
> the source address that define in main.cf  "myorigin=abc.com" when
> I am using root.

Prior to switching MTA's, did you run "system-switch-mail" (FC2)??
I believe its "redhat-switch-mail" on FC1 and RH9

> what my friend told me was it is because, I am still using Sendmail,
> namely because sendmail(1) is the Sendmail MTA and not Postfix'
> sendmail binary.

If you don't run the [redhat/system]-switch-mail script prior to starting
either postfix or sendmail (which ever MTA you want to run), then
/etc/alternatives will not be updated. Thus, your friends comment (for the
most part) is true. Postfix supplies a sendmail compatible submission binary
that is linked in /etc/alternatives. i.e. either /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail
or /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix. There are other links that are also created
like mailq, newaliases, etc when you run *-switch-mail.

> BUT I wonder what he said is true or not now.  As later I tried to
> start both sendmail and postfix and using the postfix command (mail
> -s "subject" david at yahoo.com < /file using other user account for
> example david instead of root.  It does show the source address as
> david at abc.com.  But I wonder it doesn't apply to root.  Anyone can
> tell me??

See above regarding exposed users.

BTW: Why in the world would you NOT want to list root as an exposed user?

Steve Cowles