Adding postfix to startup

Cowles, Steve steve at stevecowles.com
Thu Aug 5 03:15:22 UTC 2004

Ben Sewell wrote:
> Hi,
> I have installed Postifx 2.1.14 from the tar file. I want postfix to
> be started up whenever the system is started. I would normally run
> ntsysv but I cannot find postfix listed. Does anyone know how to add
> it?

...installed Postfix from a tar file??

FWIW: I have always installed/updated postfix by compiling the source rpm's
maintained by Simon J. Mudd at:

http://postfix.wl0.org/ftp/official/2.1/SRPMS

The instructions for building Postfix from a source RPM (rpmbuild) can be
found at:

http://postfix.wl0.org/en/building-rpms

The binary RPM that is created from above will contain the postfix init
script you seek when it is installed using rpm -i

Steve Cowles