Vicious Circle of Package Dependencies

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Tue Aug 10 18:08:14 UTC 2004

On Aug 10, 2004, at 2:00 PM, Ted Beaton wrote:

> I have been trying to install first Cyrus IMAP and then Courier IMAP
> and I keep getting tied up in package dependencies.  Some piece I'm
> installing will require a newer version of a package already on my
> machine.  I search and find the newer version and try to install it
> and then there will be 6 or 7 other packages that are dependent on the
> older version so I need to upgrade them and it goes on and on.  I find
> myself in a geometrically expanding vicious circle.  I'm sure I'm
> overlooking something obvious here.  Maybe I shouldn't be trying to
> install on RedHat 9, maybe I'm leaving something out when I install
> RedHat 9.  Is there any manageable way to know all of what I need and
> what all the dependencies are for them at the outset?  Sometimes I
> can't even find a version of a package required for RedHat 9.  I could
> force a package to install but I have no idea what problems that may
> cause later on.  The overall goal is to get the courier-0.46.tar.bz2
> tar ball to build and install.

Courier-IMAP is one of the easiest installations I've ever performed
(of mailserver software).  I think your problem is that you're trying
to install the entire Courier project, rather than just the
Courier-IMAP subproject.

http://www.courier-mta.org/imap/

Here is how to install Courier-IMAP on a Red Hat system.  You don't
have to use the user "jason" to build, but it must be a non-root user.

useradd jason
passwd jason
su jason
cd mkdir $HOME/rpm
mkdir $HOME/rpm/SOURCES
mkdir $HOME/rpm/SPECS
mkdir $HOME/rpm/BUILD
mkdir $HOME/rpm/SRPMS
mkdir $HOME/rpm/RPMS
mkdir $HOME/rpm/RPMS/i386
echo "%_topdir    $HOME/rpm" >> $HOME/.rpmmacros
rpmbuild -ta courier-imap-3.0.7.tar.bz2
sudo rpm -ivh /home/jason/rpm/RPMS/i386/courier*rpm

HTH.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting