bad blocks... random death

Iulian Musat iulian at 3dgeo.com
Fri Aug 13 14:53:28 UTC 2004

Last time I installed Fedora C2 (to get a 2.6 kernel - that was about 2
months ago) the system will froze every second day. No error messages -
the logs were 'clean'. I had no time to experiment with it so I
installed a RedHat9 from scratch. At least you get some errors and not
that often.

I would say that the problem is not with RedHat9 or whatever, but with
the 2.4.* kernel.

Since there are few of us having this problem, I think it is worth
sharing the experience and maybe finding a solution. Most likely, many
tried also other discussion lists.

Currently I'm running extensive tests on a machine with 8 IDE HDDs. I
changed cables from the flat 80 wires to the round ones (I don't know
the name for those) and forced udma2 on all HDDs.

While before I was getting errors mostly on the HDDs using udma5, now
only one HDD produced some errors. Noticeable is that this particular
HDD is the closest one to the power source.

I guess the problem is somehow electrical (electromagnetic
interference???), but likely solvable by the driver.

Next week I plan to build a machine similar with this one, but this time
using SATA HDDs. I'm curious if there will be any more errors.

I would like to thank Thierry for keeping this thread alive.

-iulian