RAID on RedHat 3 ES

Steve Phillips steve at focb.co.nz
Thu Aug 19 09:02:16 UTC 2004

Software RAID comes with a preformance hit that with todays processors you
probably will never notice.

RAID1 would be ok, if you are after rock solid redundancy then purchase
another drive as a hot spare (and if your really keen, try to ensure that
the drives are nto from teh same production batch)

comments like "dont know if it is really effective" are kinda wishy washy,
effective against what ? was he saying that a single drive system would
have greater redundancy than a mirrored setup ? what sort of effect was he
commenting on ?

the preformance hit you will see will also depend on how many users and
how busy you expect the server to be - also, buying 5400rpm drives will
probably not help much, try and get reasonably fast drives with a
reasonable ammount of cache ram.

if you are after reliability only then there is no point to stripe
(infact, some people claim that software stripes actually slow things down
over say - RAID 10)

--
Steve.