Samba 3.0.4 mapping root to Domain Admin

Geoff Warner gwarner at med1online.com
Thu Aug 19 15:58:03 UTC 2004

Hi - I'm having an issue with Samba 3.0.4 on RHEL kernel 2.4.21-9.  I have
my share filesystem mounted with acl support.  The issue I'm having is
trying to change permissions on files/directories owned by root as the
domain Administrator.  In my smb.conf I have the admin users =
DOMAIN\Administrator setting enabled.  It's my understanding that this
allows the permissions on files owned by root to be modified by the domain
administrator.

[Test]
        comment = "For testing only"
        path = /home/test
        read only = No
        admin users = DOMAIN\Administrator

ls /home/test

drwxrwx---+   3 root     DOMAIN+Domain Users     4096 Aug 19 08:38 .
drwxrwx---    4 root     root         4096 Aug 16 13:54 ..
drwx------+   2 root     DOMAIN+Domain Users     4096 Aug 19 08:37 testdir
-rw-rw----    1 root     DOMAIN+Domain Users        0 Aug 19 08:37
testdoc.txt

When I try to add permissions to either testdir or testdoc.txt as the domain
Administrator, I get an access denied message.

If the file/directory is owned my DOMAIN+Administator, I can change the
permissions.

What do I need to do to allow the domain administrator to modify permissions
on files/directories owned by root?

Thanks,

Geoff Warner