Redhat 9 and IP Masquerading

Brian D. McGrew brian at doubledimension.com
Wed Aug 25 17:14:19 UTC 2004

Good morning All:

I'm trying to setup a Redhat 9 machine to do IP Masquerading on our
internal network with a DSL modem.  We're using an old Dell PE2300
machine that seems to run the OS and X just fine.  We've got two NIC's
in the box, a Linksys and a Netgear; both are working.  I can put the
DSL on either card and get out to the world just fine.

However, on the internal network I can not see nor ping any host.  The
internal IP of the machine is 192.168.2.1 (which is the same as the old
DSL router that was physically removed).  I can't ping anything.  I
look at an ifconfig -a printout and it shows zero packets received but
a whole lot of dropped packets.

I was always under the impression that I should be able to ping the
'router' from the internal network and I can not.  I've looked at
everything I can think of including 'Security Settings' and made sure
that (for now) the firewall is turned off (No Firewall).  What else
should I be looking at here, any ideas?

Thanks,

-brian

Brian D. McGrew		{ brian at doubledimension.com ||