Redhat 9 and IP Masquerading

Brian D. McGrew brian at doubledimension.com
Wed Aug 25 18:53:53 UTC 2004

---[ YET EVEN MORE CLARIFICATION ]---

To clarify (sorry, I guess I was a bit vague).

Weather or not I have IP Forwarding turned on, I can't ping the
internal network.  The box is configured as follows:

eth0 connected to DSL modem.  Works fine for web surfing.
eth1 connected to internal network via switch. (192.168.2.1)

 From the Redhat machine I can not ping any host on the internal network
(192.168.2.[2-53]).  From any host on the internal network I can not
ping the Redhat machine.

If I remove the Redhat machine from the network and plug the old router
back in, life is good and all the hosts on the network can ping it and
surf the web.  I know the issue is configuration with the RH box, not a
connectivity problem.

BTW, the old router was 192.168.2.1 and it was physically removed and
replaced with the RH machine which now has the same IP address
(192.168.2.1) as the old router did (so we don't have to reconfigure
the whole internal network).

I can only reach the internet and outside world from the Redhat 9
machine via the DSL.  I can not reach the Redhat machine (192.168.2.1)
from any internal host; however all the internal hosts are talking to
each other with the exception of the Redhat box.

I did notice on the Redhat machine that an ifconfig -a shows that eth1
has several hundred TX packets and 0 RX packets.  However on the RX
line, there is a very large number next to the dropped packet count.

If you need more details, just ask; sorry I was vague before.

-brian

Brian D. McGrew		{ brian at doubledimension.com ||
pacemakertaker at yahoo.com }