sendmail ? Continues

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Sun Aug 1 00:08:13 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 09:37:22AM -0700, Stephen W wrote:
> I posted the original question re "stubborn sendmail
> start."

And we answered that.

> I am new at this and yes, I did do an "Everything"
> install.

Frankly, this is a Windows philosophy and not recommended for Linux.
Don't install what you don't need and don't run what you don't need.  If
you install it, you need to even more careful about any potential
security fixes - some packages have executables that can make your
system vulnerable just by being there (local root exploits).

> I am not too worried about the sendmail "pause" but I
> would sure like to understand it and what to do about
> it... (Understanding that it will depend on my
> requirements).  The responses have been very
> informative...
>
> I have yet to decide what to do about it and how...
> (keep them cards and letters coming).

If you're not going to listen to the advice given, then you may want to
ask yourself why you asked the question in the first place.

You can also do a google search for "sendmail startup pause" and find
articles that are several years old that tell you the same thing we're
telling you here - it's a DNS issue.

> (From what I have read so far there is no great
> danger in this - I hope I read it right.)

There's no great danger if you don't want it to work.  sendmail without
a fully functioning DNS pretty much means that sendmail is busted.  Not
dangerous, but not overly useful either.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org