Ssh problem

MKlinke mklinke at axsi.com
Tue Aug 3 21:09:47 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 03 August 2004 15:44, Ryan Golhar wrote:
> Sometimes, when I ssh from one machine to another (both RedHat
> Enterprise Linux Workstation and Server), the local shell doesn't
> return after exiting from the remote shell.  Ie I type 'exit' to
> return to the local computer, the windows clears and nevers returns
> me to a shell, I have to close the window.
>
> It doesn't happen all time, but does not occasion and I've never
> been able to figure it out.  Any ideas?
>
> -----

As best as I know this will happen any time you start a background
process on the server side and try to exit, the client will hang.
 This appears to be by design and most of the comments I've seen
indicate a failure of the shell in some fashion.  There's a FAQ here:

http://www.openssh.org/faq.html

(search for: "hang on exit")

I've found the the redirection of input and output:

< /dev/null >  /dev/null 2>&1

works for many of the things I run remotely via ssh.

Regards,  Mike Klinke