a few questions regarding RHEL 3

Anoop Bhat abhat at interpublic.com
Tue Aug 3 23:31:57 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am currently setting up a kickstart server and attempting to install
without the X environment.

So far, it seems to be working with everything i need. However, when
installing Oracle 9i, I realized that an X environment is needed. I read
someplace that it would work if i only installed the X libs and then used
something like ssh -X <server>

Also, I'd like to setup some sort of local build server so that machines in
my DMZ can get updates locally without having to go out to the web. Are
there any recommendations on how to do this for RHEL 3 on machines without X
?

Somethings i found were missing from the rpms in cds 1-4, such as
mysql-server and also lynx. Are those not shipped with RHEL3 and why not?

Lastly, is there any sort of way to use kickstart to build a base system and
then perhaps automate a way to with maybe another kickstart file to install
X on selected boxes. that way the installation method is automated and a
person can select which type of machine they need.

I hope these questions make sense, i wrote them off and on over a period of
8 hours.

thanks

Anoop