Problems with Redhat 3.0 GDM/XDM

Wayne Pinette Wpinette at cariboo.bc.ca
Wed Aug 4 19:41:13 UTC 2004

Howdy all.  We have recently just purchases a Dell 1750 (woo hoo) and want to run Xwindows remotely  off of it.  I have installed Redhat AS 3.0 and I use gdm as the window manager.  I have an x86 p4 which runs Redhat 9.0 running a similar configuration with absolutely no problems what so ever. Unfortunately with the AS 3.0 XDMCP refuses to work properly with either gdm or xdm even though the setup is identical to the working 9.0 on the P4 setup.

I have attached the error log when I use xdm (/var/log/xdm-errors) to this email.
I get the same problem when I try to use x-win32 or the Xwin -query <>  from a cygwin window.

I might add that the machine I am trying to connect to is in the same subnet/network setup as the Redhat 9.0
machines which do work.  I have turned off iptables and all other forms of firewalls between the machines.
My /etc/X11/xdm/XAccess has * for access points, and I have commented out the last line in xdm-config.
hosts.allow and hosts.deny in /etc is clear.  Im totally at a loss as to what or why this refuses to work.  If anyone
has any insite, I would greatly appreciate it.

Wayne Pinette