Attempted SSH Logins (from Fedora thread)

Craig Daters craig at westpress.com
Wed Aug 4 23:04:10 UTC 2004

Jeff wrote:

> I think this guy has been going a bit mad...all of my linux boxes show failed login attempts from this IP.
>
> My solution: blacklist 'em on the firewalls ;P

I have been having a lot of failed SSH attempts from 'guest' and 'test'
for the past week. Today I saw attempts from 'root', 'admin', and
something else. Up to this point I had been black-listing all of the
IP's, but everyday it's a different IP!

Today I shut down SSH at the firewall for any IP that is not my home IP,
and generated keys for the one machine that other people need to access,
shutting off the password auth. Now I don't have to worry about it
anymore :)