Adding postfix to startup

Cowles, Steve steve at stevecowles.com
Thu Aug 5 05:24:36 UTC 2004

Ben Sewell wrote:
> Hi Steve,
> Thank you for your reply. Maybe I should have been more specific but I
> downloaded a tarball file from a postfix mirror site. The file was
> called postfix-2.1.4.tar.gz and I successully installed postix. The
> problem I'm having is that I want postfix to start during system
> bootup.

Did the taball you referenced above install the redhat postfix init script
(/etc/init.d/postfix) after you compiled it? i.e. make; make install.
Without the postfix init script, chkconfig will not be able to reference
postfix to start at bootup. Which I believe is what your asking.

If you do have the postfix init script installed, then I'm at a loss as to
why you are not able to reference it with chkconfig. If all else fails, I
guess you could always manually create the link in the appropriate runelevel
to get postfix to start at bootup.

If you don't have the postfix init script installed, then try compiling
postfix from the rpm source (instead of the tarball) as I stated in my

# rpm -ql postfix | grep init.d
/etc/rc.d/init.d/postfix

# chkconfig --list postfix
postfix         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

Steve Cowles