using compression on SDLT320 on RH 9.0

Binyon Steve Contr DMOC 705 EXS/ASRCC Steve.Binyon at kirtland.af.mil
Thu Aug 5 15:46:14 UTC 2004

List,
	Question: how does one implement hardware compression on a Quantum
M1500 SDLT 320 tape device on RH 9.0?

	I'm using a SDLT 320 (Quantum M1500) on RH 9.0 system for Legato
Networker.  The system works fine at normal 'density' of 160GB by using the
/dev/nst0 and /dev/nst1 devices, but I'm at a lost on how to implement
compression on the tape devices to enable 320GB capacity.  I see the
following no rewind devices:
crw-rw----		root	disk	9, 128	/dev/nst0
crw-rw----		root	disk	9, 224	/dev/nst0a
crw-rw----		root	disk	9, 160	/dev/nst0l
crw-rw----		root	disk	9, 192	/dev/nst0m

Hoping to determine what the difference is between 'a','l',and 'm' thinking
one will enable compression,
I do a 'mt -f /dev/nst0a' it returns:

/dev/nst0a: No such device or address

and the same for nst0l and nst0m.

though I get a return for 'mt -f /dev/nst0':

SCSI 2 tape drive
file number=-1,block number=-1, partition=0
Tape block size 0 bytes, Density Code 0x0 (default),
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (50000):
 DR_OPEN IM_REP_EN

I also get the same result for the rewind device (/dev/st0).

So how does one implement hardware compression on the Quantum SDLT on RH
9.0?

Thanks.

Steve Binyon
System Administrator