Attempted SSH Logins

James Harrison jamesaharrisonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 5 20:32:51 UTC 2004

Hello

> I understand that most of the sources of these probes are zombie drones
> or other compromised systems.
What I dont understand about this is: Why do any of it?  What is to gain from
even trying to attempt to produce a "probe"?  Written my a bunch of morons who
cant do anything else productive for the computing industry.

I dont take too kindly to people I dont know trying to access my system.  I
have personal information that I want my family and friends to see and I dont
want some zitty 12 year old from China or some bored system engineer moron
working for a company trying to use my system as a platform to spam the rest
of the world.

>I politely emailed the technical contact responsible
That OK if you know you wont get hundreds of spam messages back from the
person as soon as they know your email address.

I do give people the benefit of doubt. If I see anything strange from the
logwatch report for the first time I let it go. Any more after that I get a
bit annoyed.

When this company tried to access my system 2 or 3 times, this is when I
started emailing.

Sorry if I have been too vocal on this matter, but its something I feel
strongly about.

James