combo wireless and wired home network

roger beever roger2 at rogernet.net
Fri Aug 6 12:12:45 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 13:02, roger beever wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 12:54, Harry Putnam wrote:
> > Mike Burger <mburger at bubbanfriends.org> writes:
> >
> > > All you need is a WAP (I'm using a Linksys unit, myself) and a PCMCIA
> > > wireless NIC that is compatible with Linux.  I'm using an Orinoco Gold
> > > card, but it's an "older" one, before chipsets were changed.  Check the
> > > hardware compatibility list for recommendations, first, and get one from
> > > the list.
> >
> > A WAP eh?  Googling that turns up lots of confusing stuff.  Are we
> > talking involving a wireless phone here:
> >
> > Can you spell this out a little more please?
> >
> I think he means a Wireless Access Point.
> just plugs in the a port on the router and has power of course.
> Roger
Sorry my indecision on the sentence construction made it seem port specific.
 It should have read Just plugs into a port....
And that filled the reboot time of my driveloader update nicely the
laptop is back on the Internet again. (typing this on another machine)
A relevant comment because if you don't pick the right wireless card you
may need driveloader to enable the use of a windows driver.
Roger