combo wireless and wired home network

Gerry Doris gdoris at rogers.com
Fri Aug 6 13:55:32 UTC 2004

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Before getting in to deep, I'd like to hear a few comments on how this
> could be done:
>
> I have no wireless experience so may have the lanquage and concepts
>   somewhat askew...
>
>   I want to use a wireless connection for 1 computer on my home lan.
>
> My machines (5) sit behind a NETGEAR dsl router/firewall.  Everything
> is currently cat 5.

I have an old box acting as a firewall amoung a number of other functions.
A second nic from this box feeds my internal network through a switch.
In order to add wireless I just dropped an access point in the network.
It just plugged into an ethernet cable coming from the switch like all the
other boxes.  It is configured using a web browser.

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer