combo wireless and wired home network

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Fri Aug 6 15:59:58 UTC 2004

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Mike Burger <mburger at bubbanfriends.org> writes:
>
> > All you need is a WAP (I'm using a Linksys unit, myself) and a PCMCIA
> > wireless NIC that is compatible with Linux.  I'm using an Orinoco Gold
> > card, but it's an "older" one, before chipsets were changed.  Check the
> > hardware compatibility list for recommendations, first, and get one from
> > the list.
>
> A WAP eh?  Googling that turns up lots of confusing stuff.  Are we
> talking involving a wireless phone here:
>
> Can you spell this out a little more please?

Wireless Access Point.  For example, I'm using the Linksys WAP11, which is
their 802.11b access point.  Think wireless router, without the
router...it's just the wireless connector.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit