combo wireless and wired home network

Michael Scully agentscully at flexiblestrategies.com
Fri Aug 6 18:01:54 UTC 2004

Mike:

	Of course it's POSSIBLE.  Cracking the WEP is pretty easy with some
hacker tools available.  Even spoofing MAC addresses isn't all that hard.
But KNOWING which MAC addresses are valid, out of the 2^24 possible
addresses for the 2^24 possible vendor codes, is another thing.

	Always remember the "low hanging fruit" theory.  If you make
something difficult enough, most people move on to find easier pickings.
That equation changes if you're a high profile target (whitehouse.gov) or
have something in particular that someone has an economic or personal reason
to devote the resources too.  But the security issues with WiFi really only
pertain to those in the very immediate proximity where the signal
broadcasts.  This is different from your worldwide exposure on the Internet.

Scully