combo wireless and wired home network

Cowles, Steve steve at stevecowles.com
Fri Aug 6 18:18:50 UTC 2004

Ed Wilts wrote:
> My laptop has 2 connections - one wired when it's on my desk, and one
> wireless.  When I'm wired, I'm on the inside.  When wireless, I have
> restrictions as to which ports I can go through.  The ports available
> through the wireless router are a subset of what's available on the
> inside firewall.  Nobody gets on the inside of the inner firewall
> unless they have a cable they can plug into my firewall/switch.

I actualy want to implement a network topology very similar to have
described, even though I have helped all my neighbors that are within range
of my WAP to install their WAP's. :-) Anyway, last week I drew up a
current/proposed network design using Visio.

See: http://www.infohiiway.com/network

I was thinking of using my linux box as a bridge and use iptables to filter
on the MAC addresses/ports for the wireless devices. Shorewall makes it
rather easy to implement this strategy. Plus, it would be a good learning
environment for me to better understand linux's capabilities with bridging.

Now I just need to find the time...
Steve Cowles