ANSI Color with Xterm and SecureCRT

Mike Vanecek rh_list at mm-vanecek.cc
Sun Aug 8 04:11:22 UTC 2004

I am using SecureCRT 4.1.17 to ssh2 into a RH 9 system. SecureCRT is
configured to connect using xterm terminal emulation with ansi color. The
default color selection is fg=white and bg=black. I would like to reverse it
to have black on white as the system default. I know about using geometry
when starting an xterm session in a local session with GNOME. However, I am
starting the session via ssh and SecureCRT and do not have the option to use
geometry (at least not that I can find). How can I tell the running xterm
session to change its fg/bg colors?

I did a google, but it was discussing color issues when starting xterm under
Xwindows which is not exactly how I am doing it. I have tried the various man
pages that might be relevant and various locates. Obviously, I have not done
the corrent one.

When I do a set I see:

TERM=xterm
SSH_TTY=/dev/pts/0