ANSI Color with Xterm and SecureCRT

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Sun Aug 8 05:23:53 UTC 2004

On Sunday 08 August 2004 13:41, Mike Vanecek wrote:
> I am using SecureCRT 4.1.17 to ssh2 into a RH 9 system. SecureCRT is
> configured to connect using xterm terminal emulation with ansi color. The
> default color selection is fg=white and bg=black. I would like to reverse
> it to have black on white as the system default. I know about using
> geometry when starting an xterm session in a local session with GNOME.
> However, I am starting the session via ssh and SecureCRT and do not have
> the option to use geometry (at least not that I can find). How can I tell
> the running xterm session to change its fg/bg colors?
>
> I did a google, but it was discussing color issues when starting xterm
> under Xwindows which is not exactly how I am doing it. I have tried the
> various man pages that might be relevant and various locates. Obviously, I
> have not done the corrent one.

I have no experience of SecureCRT but I gather it simply logs into another
system via ssh protocol and provides a terminal optionally emulating xterm.
But note that this is an *emulation* within SecureCRT; you do not have a
running xterm so the xterm man pages are largely irrelevent.
  To set things like geometry and colours you'll need to look to the
SecureCRT setup on the Windows machine and its documentation -- not to xterm
on RH9.

> When I do a set I see:
>
> TERM=xterm

This does not mean that xterm is running; only that software using the emulated
terminal should assume that it is an xterm for the purpose of control. That is
for selecting terminfo data.

You may do better with PUTTY which comes for free.

Malcolm