MySQL 4 and PHP 5

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sun Aug 8 14:27:32 UTC 2004

On Saturday 07 August 2004 22:57, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 12:07:25PM -0800, Chris Lott wrote:
> > Any idea how long before new software gets integrated into the RedHat
> > Enterprise distributions?
>
> Typically major new applications won't make until the next release of
> RHEL.  If they break binary compatibility, Red Hat doesn't have much of
> a choice - they have to wait or they'll be lynched by their customers.
>
> > I don't know that much about the RPM
> > process, but it seems like if I need to use one of these I pretty much
> > end up needing to compile everything by hand-- kind of an all RPM or
> > nothing?
>
> I suggest you get the RPM book if you're going to take this approach -
> you may find out it's not as bad as you think.  Sometimes you can just
> grab the existing source rpm, install it, replace the source tarball
> inside, update the spec file, and rebuild.  There are a few gotchas
> along the way of course...  With both php and mysql, you'll have to
> watch for dependencies with other products like apache.
Maximum RPM is available  from
http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm
However this is rather out of date. The good folk at RH are working on an
updated version, which can be read (cvs checkout) via here:
http://rpm-devel.colug.net/
or if you are feeling brave you can do a cvs checkout and build it yourself -
you'll get the sgml source and will need to use autoconf and automake...

As far as mysql-4 goes, I have built it successfully as an rpm on my FC2 box -
the source & binary rpms are available from the mysql website
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/4.0.html
You may have to rebuild as I can't remember which RH versions it is built for.
the rebuilt rpm from their sources runs sweetly on FC2 however.

kind regards

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX