[NETGEAR FVS318] security logs won't mail out.

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun Aug 8 21:12:05 UTC 2004

Sorry to come here with this but if any of you have had dealings with
netgear support staff, you'll know that going there is very time
consuming and often unproductive.

I've been using the FVS318 router for over a year.  I've tried many
many things regarding getting the security logs to be mailed to me on
a regular basis.  What is so maddening is that if I choose the `mail
now' choice it works ok. But you'd have to logon to the router at
whatever intervals to do that..

That tells me it isn't a problem with mail host, addressing or some
other aspect of mail itself.

I've tried weekly, daily, hourly with every setting I could think of.
Different address, different smtp hosts, including my desktop which is
set to receive mail from my network and does so with no problems.
It receives them fine when I press the `mail now' choice.

As a side note and related problem... I am able to get the logs to be
sent to my desktop syslogd and they show up in my /var/log/messages.

However they are in a different format than when viewed on the
device. Some important info is missing like if the thing was dropped
or what.  What kind of attack or whatever the device sees it as.
Maybe other stuff.