redhat 9 dies randomly

jason at dixongroup.net jason at dixongroup.net
Mon Aug 9 18:56:50 UTC 2004

> i posted this question a few months back here and the only answer i got
> was to update the kernel which i did but it didn't solve the problem..
>
> i have a redhat 9 machine that dies randomly. sometimes after a day,
> sometimes after 8 days. there isn't any indication of a problem in any of
> the logs.

When you say "dies", do you mean that it simply freezes up?  This is
usually indicative of some sort of hardware failure.  I've heard of some
really oddball things (*), so I'd suggest first swapping out the
motherboard.  Also, make sure your CPU is receiving sufficient cooling.

* I once read a story about a mainframe that kept dying only when a
certain "portly" admin was working on it.  Everyone believed he was
cursed, or that the machine simply didn't like him.  Turns out there was a
microscopic fracture in the motherboard that, when he walked near, would
cause a gap in the circuitry due to the flexing of the elevated floor.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting