sound card

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Wed Aug 11 11:23:58 UTC 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:09:33 -0700 (PDT), Shiraz Baig wrote:

> Sir,
> I am working on a sound-player-recorder program. I am
> looking for a simplest possible program to understand
> the mechanics. I located a program parrot.c. It is an
> excellent program, very simple and very elegant. But
> it does not work :(.
>
> There are certain ioctl commands using constants like
> SOUND_PCM_WRITE_BITS and SOUND_PCM_WRITE_CHANNELS.
> Where is the source documentation for such constants
> for the sound card?

Either at the website of the project developing the audio drivers or
included within the released packages. I remember I've seen developer
documentation for OSS/Linux (Open Sound System) and OSS/Free at their
website, and the ALSA project likely offers documentation for developers,
too.

> So, I have two questions. Where can I find...
>
>   a. A simplest possible example of sound program to
> record and play wav files.

Any such Open Source program should suffice.