cable modem safety?

Mark Neidorff mark at neidorff.com
Thu Aug 12 10:57:27 UTC 2004

Really, it depends on how paranoid (er, read that as "careful") you want
to be.

The "very near by" power strike will get through surge supressors no
matter how good they are.  Why?  Say that the surge protector is turned
on.  It can only protect up to a certain amount of electricity.  Then it
fails.  What about if you turn it off? Then you have to also worry about
the distance between the contacts on the on/off switch?  If the supressor
is turned off, the lightning only has to jump across the small distance
between the contacts in the switch to get to the protection circuit.  In
the case of a "very near by" strike, it may have enough juice left to get
through your supressor.

The farther away a strike is, the less damage it can do.  All of the above
may or may not apply, depending on lots of factors.

Pulling the plug on the cable modem is the safest......****BUT*** a cable
modem costs about $100.  How much will a new computer or new monitor cost?
Are you pulliing the plug on them also?  (There is no need to answer this
question...its just to get you thinking...)

Mark

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Jason Staudenmayer wrote:

> If your that worried about it I believe there are power strips and backups
> that have type-f connectors on them as well as Ethernet and phone.

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.