Unrecognized Partition

KAlleyne at bb.ibm.com KAlleyne at bb.ibm.com
Fri Aug 13 12:56:57 UTC 2004

Hi,

Any help that someone can give me on this would be great....

I configured a RedHat Enterprise WS (version 3) this week.  The machine has
2 hard drives 1 30GB which has on all of the OS stuff and also 1 80GB drive
which host all of the data that we will be using to store data from an
application we will be loading later.  During the install only the 30GB
drive was partitioned and formated, I then partitioned the 80GB drive in
the OS.

These were the steps I took:

1)  Created a single partition on the 80GB drive using the parted utility
(new partition was /dev/hdd1).
2)  Formated the new partition with an ext3 filesystem using mkfs
3)  Used /sbin/devlabel to label the partition as /data
4)  Created a mount point for the partition
5)  Added the line below to /etc/fstab:

      LABEL=/data           /data                 ext3    defaults        1
2

The problem arose when the machine was restarted, it failed during the boot
process due to a label that could not be found, I had to go to maintenance
mode and edit the /etc/fstab file to get the machine back up again.

Point to note, I had been using the process to create a partition as
described in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 System Administration Guide
however, after 2 tries I changed the second step from using the e2label to
using devlabel.

Kelvin