Unrecognized Partition

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Fri Aug 13 20:19:49 UTC 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 KAlleyne at bb.ibm.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Any help that someone can give me on this would be great....
>
> I configured a RedHat Enterprise WS (version 3) this week.  The machine has
> 2 hard drives 1 30GB which has on all of the OS stuff and also 1 80GB drive
> which host all of the data that we will be using to store data from an
> application we will be loading later.  During the install only the 30GB
> drive was partitioned and formated, I then partitioned the 80GB drive in
> the OS.
>
> These were the steps I took:
>
> 1)  Created a single partition on the 80GB drive using the parted utility
> (new partition was /dev/hdd1).
> 2)  Formated the new partition with an ext3 filesystem using mkfs
> 3)  Used /sbin/devlabel to label the partition as /data
> 4)  Created a mount point for the partition
> 5)  Added the line below to /etc/fstab:
>
>       LABEL=/data           /data                 ext3    defaults        1
> 2
>
> The problem arose when the machine was restarted, it failed during the boot
> process due to a label that could not be found, I had to go to maintenance
> mode and edit the /etc/fstab file to get the machine back up again.
>
> Point to note, I had been using the process to create a partition as
> described in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 System Administration Guide
> however, after 2 tries I changed the second step from using the e2label to
> using devlabel.

Short term, you could comment out the LABEL=/data line, and replicate it,
using /dev/hdb1 (or whichever device your drive has been assigned).

You could also try using e2label to reset the label.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit