uninstalling old mozilla version

Jack Byers byersj at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 14 23:43:02 UTC 2004

Jack Byers     byersj at hotmail.com

>>i am in middle of trying to upgrade or rather fresh install of mozilla 1.7
>>the instructions on moz site look complete    and download of the
>>installer
>>is easy
>>
>>but they say to  uninstall old version before doing any new install
>><snip>
>>so, do i  'rm'  all of above?

>response from Reuben:
>The mozilla already there is probably the one shipped with RH 8.0,
>installed using RPM. You can try uninstalling all of them using:
>1. Get the mozilla related packages:
>rpm -qa | grep mozilla
>you'll probably get something like: mozilla, mozilla-nspr, etc

yes

>2. Remove them using 'rpm -e <package_name>' where package name is the
>package you found from step 1.

>I would guess it would fail due to some sort of dependancy problem.

yes,  it also failed  to do any thing  using  rpm -e --nodeps

>If that's the case, just don't worry about uninstalling them, they would
>not interfere with the new installed mozilla, I promise  :)

I was not too convinced this was a good idea, bc the mozilla site is
explicit
about advising uninstalling old versions first
but i went ahead  as per your advice

>All you need to do then, install the new version mozilla in a separate
>directory, ie: /usr/local/mozilla-1.7 (you can set this up with the
>installer). Then, to make sure that you run the new mozilla version when
>you type "mozilla", you can

>1. Move the mozilla executable in /usr/bin to mozilla.old, for example.
>$> mv /usr/bin/mozilla /usr/bin/mozilla.old

>2. Make a symlink from /usr/bin to the newly installed mozilla, so that the
>newly installed mozilla is in the path automatically, eg:
>$> ln -s /usr/local/mozilla-1.7/mozilla /usr/bin/mozilla

i did this and the installation seemed to complete successfully
now up in mozilla1.7.2  both as root and as user byers.
And it automatically transferred an old bookmark
   (i only had one,  this is on a server system)

>Then whenever you need to install plugins, remember that the mozilla
>install directory is /usr/local/mozilla-1.7

i havent done anytbing re plugins yet, but the mozilla site seems to have
plenty
of advice re plugins

thanks for your reponse, i might have gotten there on my own
but only after explicitly rm-ing all of the old version files
which i was very close to doing bc of the utter failure of rpm -e to do
anything.

Still puzzled as to why the mozilla site puts so much emphasis on
uninstalling old versions
when your procedure seems to work fine.

regards
Jack