Basic gfx card for RedHat 8.0 at 1024x768@ 70Hz or higher

Richard Hobbs richard.hobbs at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Mon Aug 16 15:33:54 UTC 2004

Hello,

We need a basic, cheap, bog standard graphics card that will *definitely*
work under RedHat 8.0 without any hacking or kernel modifications (in other
words, i just want to run one or two simple commands to install the
drivers).

I have the 2.4.20-28.8 kernel, RedHat 8.0, and an AGP socket that has the
smaller part of it the farthest away from the edge of the case. Basically,
the AGP socket is split into two sections... the divider between them is
farther away from the edge of the case, making the larger section of the AGP
socket the section nearer the outside of the case.

We currently have very recent on-board Intel graphics on a very recent Intel
motherboard, but the linux drivers supplied by Intel do not support our
kernel, and even though they appear to run fine, they will not go above
60Hz. I've been troubleshooting it for a few weeks now, and it's just not
going to work, so i'd rather just buy a cheap graphics card that i *know* is
going to work.

It does not have to be a good graphics card (but it does have to be brand
new, cos we need a few of them), and it has to support at least 1024x768,
although higher would be very desirable. 60Hz is not acceptable, so 70Hz or
above is needed. We have Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454 monitors here, all
capable of 1920x1440 @ 85Hz, so the monitors are definitely capable of this
res and refresh rate.

Please advise... and thanks in advance.

Hobbs.

--
Richard Hobbs (Systems Administrator)
Toshiba Research Europe Ltd. - Speech Technology Group
Email: richard.hobbs at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Tel: +44 1223 376964        Mobile: +44 7811 803377